Tuesday, January 1, 2013

It's a Good Year to be Free

Do you feel free? I mean on the inside of you? Here's how you can tell: When people (kids, spouses, in laws, co-workers) do hurtful or dumb things to you or around you, you respond.... NOT REACT. You maintain your personal sense of peace even in the midst of said stupidity, hurtfulness, etc. You easily separate your problems from theirs and let yours be yours and theirs be theirs. You are slow to anger and judgement and quick to forgive. When you do fail or fall, you are quick to right your wrongs and don't waste a minute beating yourself up over it. After all, that's what enemies are for. Why help them out? You believe what God says about you to be the truest thing about you. Not what others say. Definitely not what you say! 

That's what freedom looks and feels like. At least to me. That is the freedom I have been and will continue to fight for. In myself. In the ones I love. IN YOU. 

It is a new year. I have strengthened my resolve. I have enlarged my vision. I have increased my faith. I have broadened my horizons..... to see more people... like me (and including me)... who lived or are living in a cell of their own making... while blaming others.... experiencing freedom.

Where to start? I'm going to be honest and NOT candy-coat it. It starts with that guy or girl staring back at you in the mirror when you are brushing your teeth. Look him/her in the eye raise the standard! Make a decision to whiten more than your teeth! Take personal responsibility for your lot in life. The good, the bad and the ugly. Yes, we've all been 'done dirty' by someone(s). But don't use that as an excuse anymore! The buck stops with you. With me. Make a decision to make decisions that allow you to look in that mirror with a clean conscience. Not powerless regret. The person with the most control over my life is ME. Unless I'm giving it away. Who are you giving all that control over your peace and joy to? How is that working for you so far? Take it back. Make it your own again. Commit to being teachable and learn every single day how to be a better you, the best you, eventually. The you that God sees. And allow your faith in God to empower you to succeed, not be an excuse or free pass for your failure. Commit to adding some new, much more effective skills to your relational resumé.

Are you up for it? Tired of the pain that leads to more pain? How about a little pain that actually brings gain? In fact, it pays dividends! It's the journey I am on and will be on until I take my last breath. Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers